Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Love Affair with Basil

I (heart) Basil. If my desk belonged to a local school district I'd likely be carving out a profession of my love for future generations to see. But like any love affair, basil and I face our rocky points too. Like the fact that my beloved Wegmans often only sells basil plants and not their single-use packets of fresh basil. Now, I've tried this route of raising a basil plant. You see...my sister has an amazing green thumb and true to little sister form I've tried to copy her. But alas, every basil plant (and most other plants, really) I've ever, ever had...I've killed.

Why can't I keep my basil alive?? I water it. Nibble on it's frawns. Whisper it sweet nothings. But still it shrivels up, turns black and is gone for good. It's not like my lone hearty "house plant" (as the official tag says) that comes back after each attempt to tie cement blocks to its roots and toss it in the Buffalo River.

So tonight I'm perusing my Produce section in search of ingredients for a pasta salad, including my beloved basil. Every time I go on this same hunt, I head to the same shelf, look at the same area and feel the same dissapointment. But tonight! Tonight, tonight...my basil has transformed into the most beautiful form a busy girl could ever ask for:

A tube of basil! For $5.00 I can save my basil and eat it too! Now the price is certainly not cheap and I kept wandering back to the produce department to reshelve it. But considering the amount of basil that gets dumped in the trash, $5.00 seems pretty well worth it. The flavor is tremendous and a perfect substitute. I even convinced a sweet elderly gentleman in line with me to ditch his basil plant (he too lives alone and shares the same love affair with basil).

Anywho, stay tuned for that super-duper pasta recipie. Big sister may even recognize my copy-cat tactics again!

1 comment:

  1. For those of us that have a love affair with *CILANTRO* -you can get cilantro in a tube as well! (Same brand BTW.) There are other herbs available, but what more do I need other than basil and cilantro?! I agree that it is worth the money. Always on hand, tastes fresh, lasts a very long time. Can't beat it.

    ReplyDelete