Friday, February 5, 2010

An Ode to South Buffalo

Four years ago I made the snap decision to move to Buffalo. I'm fully aware that snap decisions aren't necessarily the best made, and I often mull things over until there's no fun left in the decision. But this one - much like my snap decision to go to England and my snap decision to attend Canisius - was super. I love Buffalo. I love living here, being a part of the community here, building my leadership skills here, and most importantly I love eating here.

Two years ago I was convinced to move to South Buffalo. This is such a wonderful area of the city that I truly do love and identify quite well with. Soon I'll be leaving for Downtown, but South Buffalo will always have a place in my heart. The pubs are some of the best you'll see in Buffalo, and very authentic to their Irish-American roots.

This past Monday, Blackthorn Restaurant & Pub was featured on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Once again, Buffalo's culinary scene has made it to the big-time! Even more exciting is that it was right in my backyard, at a pub that we adore, owned by a guy that means so much to the neighborhood. And...even more exciting for me...is their deep and engrained love for the Buffalo Fire Department.


When you go to Blackthorn, be sure to say hi to Pat, the owner. Pat's a fireman with the city, as have been many of the men in his family. He's usually behind the bar chatting it up with a local (that my best boy inevitably knows). It's important to never forget that this is truly sacred ground to South Buffalonians - Tim Russert is a Blackthorn legend. His presence is everywhere, and the impact he had on the guys in SoBuff will never be forgotten.

Drafts include the usual: Blue, Blue Light, Sam Adams, Yuengling, Guiness and the occasional seasonal favorite. I'm a big fan of their Fish & Chips - almost like being back in England! The beer cheese soup is fabulous, as well as Kev's Favorite. The Buffalo staples - Beef on Weck, Chicken Finger Sandwich and Wings - are all great finds too! You really can't go wrong with anything on the menu.

So belly up with a pint and watch Pat and his crew get the kudos they so rightly deserve. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment